Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Story endings

I thought we could talk about story endings (and whatever else people want to talk about) at our next writers' group lunch at noon in the board room on March 25. I liked the endings of these three recent articles in our paper. Maybe you have seen others in the WSJ or elsewhere you want to share? Also, I have a confession: I think I rely on quote endings too much. But they're so easy; how to get around this? Any suggestions?

(By the way, I'm testing out Nick's new, easy way to post blog entries. We'll see if it works…)


Chris Martell:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/topstories/443075

Deb Ziff:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/441562

Karen Rivedal:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/440697


David

1 comment:

Nick said...

I too have fallen for the sirens' call of quote endings. They're actually not bad, I think. Our editors seem to dislike "concluding" so much, quotes are often a good way to tie off a story without looking like you're concluding.

I seem to remember from newswriting class that news stories will often not have, and not need, a proper ending. If you're thinking too hard about the last sentence of your story, try just leaving it off. "The best news stories don't end, they just stop," I recall hearing.

Don't know if I agree with that. But it's a school of thought.